SPSS has announced the new features that they plan to the upcoming release of PASW Statistics 18 (formerly know as SPSS Statistics 18, or SPSS Base).
- Improved research and reporting tools
- New bootstrapping module for more stable models
- New non-parametrics tests procedure
- Automated data preparation for easier model building
- New Direct Marketing add-on module
- More customizability in the base PASW Statistics
- Easier enterprise integration, deployment and management
PASW Bootstrapping Module
As I understand it, this new module lets you automatically run statistical tests on thousands of randomly drawn sub-samples of your dataset, which lets you minimize impact of outliers and anomalies on your results. If this is easy to use it could be exceptionally useful and time saving. It can be applied to the following SPSS/PASW procedures:
- Descriptive Procedures
- Frequencies (PASW Statistics Base)
- Descriptives (PASW Statistics Base)
- Examine (PASW Statistics Base)
- Means (PASW Statistics Base)
- Crosstabs (PASW Statistics Base)
- T-tests (PASW Statistics Base)
- Correlations (PASW Statistics Base)
- Partial Correlations(PASW Statistics Base)
- Modeling Procedures
- One-Way (PASW Statistics Base)
- UniAnova (PASW Statistics Base)
- GLM (PASW Advanced Statistics)
- Regression (PASW Regression)
- Nominal Regression (PASW Regression)
- Discriminant (PASW Statistics Base)
- Logisitic Regression (PASW Regression)
- Binary Multi-nominal Logistic Ordinal Regression (PASW Statistics Base)
- GENLIN (PASW Advanced Statistics)
- Linear Mixed Models (PASW Advanced Statistics)
- Cox Regressions (PASW Advanced Statistics)
PASW Direct Marketing
SPSS PASW Direct Marketing is a new model specifically designed to make statistical procedures that can be used to better understand customers more accessible and easier to use. This is accomplished by cleanly packaging six different procedures/techniques that might be accomplished through other means but that are unlikely to ever be done simply because they are so complex. It appears here that SPSS has made it fairly easy. These procedures are:
- RFM Analysis allows users to score and rank customers by analyzing a combination of how recently they made their last purchase, how frequently they purchase, and how much they spend. The results can then be analyzed and output in a variety of ways.
- Cluster Analysis allows you to group your customers/data into different market segments which can be used to improved your targeting. It includes an interactive model viewer that allows the user to visualize and play with the results in real time.
- Control Package Test allows you to utilize the results of marketing campaigns to figure out which of your customers are most likely to respond to similar campaigns.
- Propensity to Purchase Analysis lets you determine which of your customers are the “lowest hanging fruit” so you can minimize your marketing costs.
- Postal Code Analysis helps you determine best locations for brick-and-mortar stores and other geographic sensitive decisions.
PASW Statistics Developer
PASW Statistical Developer is a new module that gives PASW Statistics users access to thousands of free R algorithms and packages using an interact that is “indistinguishable” from PASW Statistic’s built-in dialogs.
Offers more non-parametric testing, which is the ability to make multiple comparisons with non-normal (that is, non-bell shaped) data.
A few links with more information:
- Press Release for SPSS PASW Statistics 18.0
- PDF Detailing PASW Bootstrapping Module
- PDF Detailing PASW Direct Marketing Module
- Details of PASW Statistics Developer (R & Python)
PSAW Statistics 18 will be released on August 17, 2009. SPSS will be hosting an online event in which they intend to go through all of the new features. Sign up here.